Christopher A. Reed
I strive to develop innovative, original solutions to problems, focusing on user interface and ease of use. My goal is to apply myself to challenging situations while continuing to learn and expand my experience. The ultimate goal for me is to have a positive effect on the user experience of computer software in whatever market I focus on.
- Over 15 years of Mac OS development using Metrowerks CodeWarrior, Apple Xcode/Project Builder for Mac OS X, Apple MPW, and others.
- Planning, developing, and maintaining large scale applications.
- Unix: Mac OS X (BSD), Solaris, and Linux using both vendor and GNU development tools.
- Fluent in Objective-C/C++, C/C++, Java, Python/Jython, AppleScript, Bourne shell, Pascal, XML, HTML. Also SQL, Perl, Tcl/Tk, and 68K and PowerPC assembly.
- Application frameworks: Cocoa, Foundation, PowerPlant.
- Mac OS X driver development for both IOKit and user-space drivers for USB and SCSI protocol devices. Also CoreAudio and CoreMIDI drivers.
- Internet protocols (TCP/IP, HTTP, MIME), networking in general, and CGI development focusing on database connectivity and web application user interface design.
- Multi-threaded and real-time design.
- Designing and implementing byte-code compiled and interpreted scripting languages.
- Design and administration of relational database systems (RDBMS).
- Audio DSP and other digital signal processing, specializing in real-time effects processing and audio synthesis.
- CoreAudio, SoundManager, and PortAudio audio APIs, and the CoreMIDI and OMS MIDI APIs.
- User interface design, for both GUI and web applications.
- Administering and using CVS and other version control and bug tracking systems, including experience with ClearCase and ClearQuest.
|Senior Macintosh Developer (contract)
|Austin, TX (Sep 2003-)
- Ported firmware update and media formatting software for USB MP3 players written in C++ from Win32 to Mac OS X.
- Added and redesigned significant sections of the company's Mac application and USB device control frameworks.
- Wrote Mac OS X IOKit driver for communicating with USB MP3 players.
- Debugged low-level interaction between host and firmware over USB. Also kernel-resident driver debugging.
Please Note: Neither I nor SigmaTel provide support for end-users of devices containing SigmaTel's SoC components. Please contact the manufacturer of your device.
|Senior Macintosh Developer
|Austin, TX (May 2001-Jan 2003)
- Worked with a medium sized cross-platform team (~15 developers) developing the Macintosh version of a quarter-million line cross-platform broadband installation and configuration application with millions of users.
- Ported a large Macintosh PowerPlant broadband installer application to Carbon and Mac OS X.
- Designed and developed the common network configuration and bridge library for Mac OS 8/9 and Mac OS X. This library formed the basis of all of the company's Mac networking code. The OS X side was written entirely using Cocoa and distributed objects.
|Austin, TX (Oct 2000-Mar 2001)
- Acted as engineering manager and lead developer for a Macintosh DVD product containing encrypted games that are unlocked over the Internet. Managed interaction between an offsite contract developer, the interface designers, and quality assurance to produce the final product.
- Created a custom archiving and decompression plug-in for Apple's installer tool. This and additional custom GUI installer plug-ins were written in C++ using CodeWarrior.
- Wrote a distributed, server-less, brute-force cracking tool in C++ designed to test the strength of the company's encryption technology.
- Developed Objective-C runtime for Mac OS 9, written in C and PowerPC assembly, that uses the Objective-C compiler in Metrowerks CodeWarrior.
- Designed and wrote an HTML page layout library that uses a custom generic layout engine. This library includes a hand-coded HTML parser.
- Rewrote Windows educational testing software in Objective-C Mac OS 9. Using the ObjC runtime described above, I wrote my own Cocoa framework for Mac OS 9 to enable future porting of the software to Cocoa on OS X with minimal effort.
|Senior Software Engineer
|Austin, TX (Dec 1999-Oct 2000)
- Project manager and lead developer for a very large WebObjects (using Mac OS X Objective-C Cocoa libraries) application. Responsible for all aspects of product development, including planning requirements, core development, and daily coordination of bug fixes.
- Performed database administration required for development of MetroShop, including Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, and FrontBase.
|Synthesys Technologies, Inc.
|Austin, TX (Feb 1999-Dec 1999)
- Designed and implemented the company's automated build system in Python. This system uses a client-server architecture to perform builds on a multiple platforms and configurations, including Solaris, NT, and AIX. All configuration and build metrics are stored using a MySQL database.
- Responsible for writing comprehensive regression tests (Jython) for new CORBA interfaces to the company's core product, a high-end distributed medical record research database.
|Purity Software, Inc.
|Senior Software Developer
|Austin, TX (Oct 1995-Dec 1998)
- Co-founded the company around a product I wrote called WebSiphon that is a real-time byte code compiled scripting language embedded in HTML. The application was written in C/C++ using CodeWarrior.
- Developed a fast flat-file database server that shipped with the company's other products. Also C/C++ using CodeWarrior.
- Mentored and oversaw entry-level developers while directing the design of the products they worked on.
|Bottom Line Distribution, Inc.
|Austin, TX (Feb 1995-Feb 1996)
- Designed and wrote one of the first shopping cart based online web ordering systems with a live connection to a legacy database backend.
- Created one of the first scripting languages embedded in a website's HTML (similar to PHP).
Other Freelance Projects
- (1994) Mac JPEG viewer application written in C. The primary requirement for this was to produce a viewer that was significantly smaller in size than any other available viewer.
- Sugar Media, Inc. (2003) Wrote Java Cocoa wrapper application for the SDL4Java library (Simple DirectMedia Layer) to work under Mac OS X.
- GizmoLab, Inc. (2003) Implemented a Cocoa wrapper library for the CDSA Security framework in Mac OS X to perform cipher and message digest services.
- Axaore, Inc. (2003) Wrote an application that sends PDF files to a fax server via HTTP, after being launched through PDF Workflow Services (on Mac OS X). Also interfaces with the keychain, and provides PDF preview.
- Aardvark Professional Audio (2003-2004) Wrote a CoreMIDI driver for the company's Q10 PCI multi-channel audio interface product.
- Designed and wrote commercial drum sampler software synthesizer AudioUnit plug-in for OS X. See http://www.manyetas.com/ritmo.html
- Developed popular freeware virtual MIDI keyboard written in Cocoa, as well as a freeware developer tool for testing AudioUnits, also written in Cocoa.
- I am very involved with the Mac OS X CoreAudio developer community and have worked with others to put together additional documentation for the CoreAudio API that is referenced from the official Apple documentation. I have also contributed to the design of Apple's AudioUnit API.
- Wrote a shareware font converter for Mac OS that has become the de facto standard for converting TrueType fonts between Macintosh and Windows formats over the past 10 years, with hundreds of thousands of users.
References available upon request.